iOS 14: How to manage location data access for iPhone and iPad
September 12, 2020
Advertisers use location data from your iPhone to personalize ads or news stories to you. This is obviously a way to use technology to generate additional sales, while giving consumers the feeling that the advertiser is always looking out for your best interests.
Before accessing your data, however, advertisers are required to send you a notification asking for your permission to use your location data when using an app. With iOS 14, you’ll be able to manage data access for your apps and widgets by setting the following parameters:
– Never: The widget and its app will not have access to your location data.
– Ask Next Time: This will set a reminder that permission must be requested the next time you use the app or widget.
– While Using the App or Widgets: Your location will be provided only when the widget or its app is accessed.
– While Using the App: This provides the app with your location data, but not the widget.
– Always: No prompt is necessary and full access to your location data will be available through the app and the widget for 15 minutes after being viewed.
You can set the level you’re comfortable with for each app that has a widget. Open “Settings” on your iPhone or iPad, then scroll down to “Privacy.” Tap “Location Services” at the top of the next page, then read through the list of apps with widgets.
Another feature you want to be aware of is the ability to toggle on and off your precise location. For navigation or rideshare apps, you would want your location to be precise. For apps such as weather or local news stories, you can turn your precise location off so that the app only has a general location for you—such as the town or city you are in.
Cell Phone Zone wants you to be able to enjoy all of the features of your iPhone, especially when new updates are available. We’ll continue to write about topics we think will be helpful for you so you can fully understand new highlights as they are released. Of course, if you ever need iPhone XS repair services, or repair services to any model iPhone or iPad, we’re conveniently located to get you back up and running quickly and affordably.